Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
shooting and common land

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot
Author 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 6:03 pm    Post subject: shooting and common land Reply with quote

I know this has been covered on the river cottage website but I seem to remember that there was some disagreement as to whether it was illegal to shoot on all common land. What is the law on this and who would I need to ask for permission?

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 05 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are shooting anywhere it would be advisable to have insurance. It would make sense to join BASC for this and they have an advice section who should be able to help.

Gervase

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even common land is usually owned by someone (usually the 'commoners') and they would retain the shooting and other rights to the land over and above the common rights of grazing, turbary, estovers, pannage and whatever.

Bugs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, we use the local common a fair bit and there are boards with extensive byelaws...I can't remember the exact phrasing but among things like not setting up stalls you can't kill or take any of the animals.

Oop where you are I dare say is less heavily signposted, but you should be able to track down who owns the land as Gervase says, it's probably under the management, if not ownership, of local authorities of some sort.

leebu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and find out again but no-one seems to know...
BASC have been pretty unhelpful generally actually. I've never had any useful local information from them on gaining permission to shoot. Will be joining the other lot next year see if they're any better.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leebu wrote:
I'll try and find out again but no-one seems to know...
BASC have been pretty unhelpful generally actually. I've never had any useful local information from them on gaining permission to shoot. Will be joining the other lot next year see if they're any better.

I must admit when I've asked them a question recently they were of little use. However, other people say they are very good so it may just be a matter of finding the correct person.

deerstalker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 05 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gervase is right.

The Chairman of the board of local commoners (if that's the correct way to address them), tells me no shooting can take place without their written permission. Although, in theory you can ask for permission (and it will be put before the board, commitee or whatever they call themselves) it is unlikely to be granted because of other pressure groups eg walkers, families, grazers, dare I say foragers, wildlife groups, local schools etc etc.

Not much help I know. Check with land registry, because it may not be common land at all (even if it is called so-and-so common).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Shooting and Trapping for the Pot All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive