Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
simple web site and coms needed

Author 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 6:18 pm    Post subject: simple web site and coms needed Reply with quote

as it looks like i am going to be involved in running the friends of the dormouse orchard i recon tis best to know about web sites in advance of a need to inform and "tax"interested parties .

i recon a basic web page for information and the ability to expand to a few sections including posting photos and regular reports of works done ,running publicity and taking donations etc etc .

im not sure a forum format is necessary but in some ways it might be quite useful in others it might be a nightmare

a poor site is a waste of time ,a good one could be a very useful tool.

what do i need to know ,what do i need it to do?can i do it for no (or very little) cost ?

is it a good idea to obtain a domain name/web site /email address as a package ?and if so where from?

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A free Wordpress account might work. The main page is set up as a blog / diary, but then off that you can have stand-alone pages (like "About" or "FAQs"). I presume you can add in a Paypal / payments page. People can leave comments and talk to each other that way but it's not a forum as such. You get a certain amount of free storage for pictures.
Will you be using the dreaded facebook as well?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that a forum is almost always worth having. They need not cost anything to set up and they are only work to administrate if you've got people posting.

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tsohost.com have some cost effective plans @£14.99 per year and their support is good. We no longer provide hosting and are moving 100's across to them. They support a wide range of installable applications.

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ,i spose such things work on a variety of access ,pooter,phone etc etc these days .15 squid for a basic host and support pack seems good especially if i dont have to spend ages wrestling with code to add a button or donation box etc etc .

dpack

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 15 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hadn't thought about the devil's confessional booth,perhaps it would help but i just dont like their ethical( )policy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> IT Matters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive