Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
the economics of hats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 22 11:10 pm    Post subject: the economics of hats Reply with quote

my helicopter crew hat cost £30 and lasted 15 yrs(it is getting a bit bald and fragmented) = £2 per year

my new "sheepland" one was £50 and seems well enough made to last a long time, i will assume at least as long as the last one so = £3 and a bit per year

how much am i likely to have saved/will save by reaching for my hat rather than turning up the heating?
umm, a fair bit at a guess and almost certainly more than hat costs

warm when outside and a hat that stuffs in a pocket are both nice bonuses, although many would see them as prime functions

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 22 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had to wear a hat in the woods this winter; having shorter hair now means not so much insulation. I have what I think are called beanies; not elegant, but warm. Can't remember how much it cost, but not much I don't think. Otherwise, the sort of thing I might knit.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 22 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: the economics of hats Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
how much am i likely to have saved/will save by reaching for my hat rather than turning up the heating?
umm, a fair bit at a guess and almost certainly more than hat costs

It's a shame more people don't adopt this approach. There was someone on the news a couple of weeks ago complaining about the cost of heating and how they have to choose between food and heat, yet the family were all there in t-shirts. Crazy!

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 22 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have similar taste in hats, it took several hats before i got to skin and fur and flaps but they are ace

i still have the remains of the haunted fedora, dont ask
the trilby made me look like a horse dealer and went to a musical theatre technician a very long time ago

woolly ones are ok but are not waterproof, the icelandic one was good in mountains but it stayed on a mountain, lose a hat if glissading is a minor problem

i have added roadkill skins to the helicopter hat for very cold which was good if a little beyond deliverance in look

the idea of t shirt and heating just seems odd, with decent clothing and nutrition down to minus 20C and pottering or sitting with no wind is not uncomfortable for the reasonably healthy, around 0C is balmy if well dressed

we warm the house a bit as it would get moist if we did not, clothes not gas makes sense regardless of costs

the swedes say there is no bad weather, just bad clothes, they say it in swedish which is more elegant

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 22 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: the economics of hats Reply with quote

sgt.colon wrote:

It's a shame more people don't adopt this approach. There was someone on the news a couple of weeks ago complaining about the cost of heating and how they have to choose between food and heat, yet the family were all there in t-shirts. Crazy!

you get the opposite in hotter climates - where they have to wear extra layers in the house because the a/c keeps the house cool..

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Norwegian it is Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlig klær. And it rhymes.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delightful, my scandi chums have been more interested in learning engurlandish than teaching me scandi languages

hence i am limited to a little polish and algerian french(and some choice phrases in idiomatic dutch . i have the perfect phrase to address my arresting officer with

i know a bit of a few, eastehoos is interesting and colourful

Slim

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know old English words, you know old Norse words. The trick is just figuring out where they've gone from there in the previous few centuries.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 22 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaucer and idiomatic dutch have quite a bit in common, that surprised my dutch girlfriend and her chum when they asked why i knew to giggle at what they were saying about me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Seasonal and Frugal Shopping All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive