Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
treating a bare wood table

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 1:25 pm    Post subject: treating a bare wood table Reply with quote

I have a pine kitchen table which I bought it in the 90s when orangey pine was the only colour. It's a good solid table, ideal size for our kitchen, and for cutting up half pigs on and the like

While I don't mind a patina and don't want to be precious about the table - put my hot mug of tea down on it etc, I do want to de-orange it. I can sand down top - and can see it is pale pine under that orange - but what is the thing to treat it with afterwards?
I would perhaps just stain it to bring the colour down a bit and leave it bare wood - but I don't want the planks making up the top to fall apart.

what to do?

tahir

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sanded and Danish oiled our old oak table came up lovely. Don't know what you do about the Orange colour though

vegplot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do what Tahir did.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And me.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
We sanded and Danish oiled our old oak table came up lovely. Don't know what you do about the Orange colour though

it's only the top layer that's orange - if we take the legs off (they unbolt) we can see pale pine underneath - so I imagine it will sand off ok.

Danish oil it is then.

thanks

dpack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 15 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it might sand off,

it might come off with caustic soda and wall paper paste

it might need sanding and 10%vol hydrogen peroxide to bleach it

the first two work for a coloured varnish the last often works for a stain under varnish

at a guess a modern pine table would have coloured varnish

another vote for danish oil unless you want a very hard shiney surface with no patina in which case use a two part acid catalyzed resin varnish (sikkins)

if you do use stripper let it dry properly before oil/varnish

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 15 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orangey colour is the natural colour that pine goes in sunlight. We have a set of pine bedroom furniture that has gone that colour over time, so you won't get rid of it permenantly. If you really don't like it, the only real option is to stain or paint it.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 15 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was varnished/stained an orangey colour - I bought it brand new this colour. There are pale ring marks where I put my cup of tea (which tends to be very hot as I drink it black) I think it was supposed to look like antique pine....

The problem with staining it is that this inhibits the take up of Danish oil... there appears to be a lot of conflicting advice about staining before or with Danish oil

I guess, if we can get the orange varnish off, I can Danish oil the pale suffice and hope I like the colour it matures to.

Cathryn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 15 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a stain before using the danish oil (I think, ages since I've done it so read the tin first). It's commonly done to brighten the look of furniture. Something like light oak wiped over.

vegplot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 15 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked stained wood, preferring to let them oxidise naturally or under an oil.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 15 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a belt sander makes for a quick job as does caustic and paste

mal55

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 15 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orangey colour comes from spraying with a weak caustic soda solution to open the grain before waxing. If you want to keep it light just sand it down then give it a good coat of beeswax.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive