Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner"
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:15 pm    Post subject: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

Hi - As there is a "Naughty Corner" for those who like to swear at each other and get abusive (or at least that is as I understand it having never joined)

Might there be another "Joiners Only" corner for those interested in those other dirty words on this forum such as Hom*?%!~athy and and other such unmentionables

Sometimes I get the feeling that people might like to post about Alt^!*&"*ve Th*?!*pies and ideas without getting blasted out of the water, and if it was a "joiner only" forum then those who know what utter twaddle it all is would not feel the need to join, and hence save their blood pressure.

This is a light-hearted post but possibly with a view to a real suggestion.

Just a thought!

Sorry about the over-use of smileys - must be a nervous tick

Yours in tredpidation
Sue

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

Should there be graduations though?

A forum for :

Twaddle
Total Twaddle
Twaddle that even people who normally believe in twaddle think is silly.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion Sue.

T.G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget,

Lucrative twaddle
Twaddle for twaddle's sake
Extremely fashionable twaddle
Pocket raiding twaddle

I think it has legs as an idea for what it's worth

cab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

darkbrowneggs wrote:

Yours in tredpidation
Sue

Never be afraid to have an idea shot down. If you have a hundred ideas and two are good, thats better than just having one good idea.

While I can't immediately think of anything wrong with a kind of 'unfalsifiable hypothesis' forum, I also can't think why the main site would benefit from that. Isn't it better that any and all claims are open to fair question?

T.G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

cab wrote:
fair question

But on these topics it seldom stays as that

cab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

T.G wrote:
cab wrote:
fair question

I disagree. But you might assume that

T.G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

cab wrote:
T.G wrote:
cab wrote:
fair question

I disagree. But you might assume that

i'd never be so bold as to assume

cab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question really is whether by mutual consent there could be a part of the forum where the burden of proof for any claim is lowered, and whether hiding that forum out of site would be a good thing. Would either be a good idea?

Jb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

darkbrowneggs wrote:
Hi - As there is a "Naughty Corner" for those who like to swear at each other and get abusive (or at least that is as I understand it having never joined)

Might there be another "Joiners Only" corner for those interested in those other dirty words on this forum such as Hom*?%!~athy and and other such unmentionables

As I understood it that was meant to be the idea of the naughty corner. Somewhere for such threads to be moved when they became too heated as opposed to locking the thread. Unfortunately it's just turned into somewhere to choose to shout rude words. But also unfortunately the nature of the naughty corner means that mods can't interject into a thread to tell people that they're misusing the naughty corner.

Bebo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutter's Corner? Then all the flat earthers and anti-evolutionists can post in there too.

Interesting that the thread has been re-instated after yesterday evening removal. Shame that it's less a few posts though.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was for a new place where people who get frustrated by posts on these subjects and think that downsizer should not be seen by new people as a place where twaddle is accepts uncritically could safely butt out as it would only be seen by members who had opted in to it.

I think that is not such a dumb idea.

I can think of any number of names for such a forum

cab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestion for new "Naughty Corner" Reply with quote

JB wrote:
As I understood it that was meant to be the idea of the naughty corner. Somewhere for such threads to be moved when they became too heated as opposed to locking the thread. Unfortunately it's just turned into somewhere to choose to shout rude words. But also unfortunately the nature of the naughty corner means that mods can't interject into a thread to tell people that they're misusing the naughty corner.

And as that was always the premis of Naughty Corner, many people (myself included) chose not to go there. It just didn't sound like my cup of tea.

paul1963

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why need a new one? I am in the naughty corner and it serves its purpose. My only beef is that occasionaly foul language is used in an NC thread title and appears for all on the forum to see, which I don't agree with. I am not a person who is given to swearing readily in print, never been my way, but the NC gives us an opportunity to be a bit silly without censure (not that forums should be censored in my opinion, but enough on that for now).

Bebo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 11 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul1963 wrote:
My only beef is that occasionaly foul language is used in an NC thread title and appears for all on the forum to see, which I don't agree with.

It doesn't. Only naughty corner members can see the title of threads. It doesn't come up in the Latest Posts list if you aren't a member. It is members only specifically so that those who don't approve of swearing or off-colour humour don't have to see it and so that it isn't visible to minors.

Last edited by Bebo on Mon Mar 07, 11 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Site guidelines, Announcements, Problems and Suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive