Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Various rabbit questions
Page Previous  1, 2

Author 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:
how do you slaugher captive rabbits, dare I ask? if it's any sort of throat slitting don't tell me! just wondered if they were shot like wild ones?

I haven't worked this one out yet - my friends do shoot them so I was wondering if they might do mine too when the time comes.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz in Ireland wrote:
For a while I had a buck and two does.....and babies.

I found sexing them difficult

As a child we had two does..... and babies. My sexed doe turned out to be a buck.

Azura Skye wrote:
how do you slaugher captive rabbits, dare I ask? if it's any sort of throat slitting don't tell me! just wondered if they were shot like wild ones?

Braking the neck, just like you do when ferreting.

Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Rosie wrote:

How old do you reckon Andrea? I was planning to pop them in the freezer at about 20 weeks. The friends who own their Mum and Dad keep same sex youngsters together until that age.

They could start to fight as soon as they start becoming sexually mature, but in your case that'll probably be delayed as they've grown up together (same applies to opposite sex littermates who have been kept together, they'll delay getting it on compared to those who've been kept apart).

Liz in Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what ended my rabbit breeding My son was supposedly rearing them as snake food, and I was going to put them in the freezer for rabbit pie.........but I couldn't bring myself to hit them on the back of the head as I had been instructed to. I was afraid of getting it wrong, and then I know they scream when frightened
They all went as pets..........

I wish there was something like I have for the hens - neck in the guillotine - gone.

Andrea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:
how do you slaugher captive rabbits, dare I ask? if it's any sort of throat slitting don't tell me!

You shouldn't ask really!

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azura Skye wrote:

"Broomsticking" (like with poultry) or there's something called the rabbit wringer. Not done either myself yet.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for letting me know, I had thought about it with the ferrets is all, and a father who likes rabbit meat plus a garden full of weeds.

...although poor Mikko my albino died earlier this year, and I'm not going to get anymore fuzzies in the future.

Green Rosie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I'll help you build a run when we come over, if you like. I am seriously considering going that route myself and it would actually help me no end. My supply of rabbit has dried up since the chap who shoots on Ma's ground has had a heart attack - very thoughtless of him!

You are supposed to be on holiday here
I'll have a think - I still have to get beyond OH's adamant statement that we will NOT be having rabbits (he won't have bargained on some-one else making the hutches!)

foggy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd planned to keep rabbits on the allotment (mind you, there's enough wild ones eating through everyone's veg. People wonder how they get in, despite having gates that a small bear could fit under!) and had managed to put the idea out of my head. Now it's back in there!

chez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hit them on the back of the head with the side of my hand. My mother holds them by their hind legs and bangs their head on the ground. Both seem to work effectively.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 13 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
I hit them on the back of the head with the side of my hand. My mother holds them by their hind legs and bangs their head on the ground. Both seem to work effectively.

I do like opening a thread randomly at the last post and working back to see what it's about.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 13 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Chez wrote:

I do like opening a thread randomly at the last post and working back to see what it's about.

lol - and by now I'm sure you've worked out that Chez and her mother used to barge into Toys R Us and decapitate Barbie dolls in feminist protest, in isle 8.

chez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 13 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother doesn't see the point of feminism. "I think women get their own way from men by being nice to them rather than making a fuss, dear". She basically does exactly what she wants and expects the waves to part before her - and for some reason, they do

Andrea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 13 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
She basically does exactly what she wants and expects the waves to part before her - and for some reason, they do

Fabulous.

Azura Skye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 13 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol : )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive