Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
needed - thickish chocolate sauce recipe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 7:48 pm    Post subject: needed - thickish chocolate sauce recipe Reply with quote

For dipping churros into. The recipe I made last time was too runny.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: needed - thickish chocolate sauce recipe Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:

less cream.
Simply melt chocolate and cream together over simmering water, less cream will give a thicker sauce as will letting it cool down.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: needed - thickish chocolate sauce recipe Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

less cream.
Simply melt chocolate and cream together over simmering water, less cream will give a thicker sauce as will letting it cool down.

OK - a bit of syrup to enhance the gloopiness?

Nell Merionwen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: needed - thickish chocolate sauce recipe Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

less cream.

This.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to have churros over Easter, because apparently we promised we would have them when Chez and Arvo came to stay.

But I'm not scrubbing my grouting with a toothbrush for them!

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 15 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ever i add syrup to my mix it splits into chocolate concrete and oil so I never bother any more.

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chocolate making course I went on suggested for ganche, use whipping cream as it has a higher fat content, this might help, 2/3rds chocolate, 1/3 cream sounds right. Also they brought the cream to scalding point and added melted chocolate, not sure if that matters

syrup will make it shinier but not more gloopy I think

dpack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilsbury wrote:
When ever i add syrup to my mix it splits into chocolate concrete and oil so I never bother any more.

that is a very familar situation here
i wiped off the oil and remelted the lump and poured the hot stuff over a cake .

not a total loss but not a good texture

bagpuss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
Pilsbury wrote:

that is a very familar situation here
i wiped off the oil and remelted the lump and poured the hot stuff over a cake .

not a total loss but not a good texture

I find adding some combination of milk and butter either from the start or when it has gone icky does help return it to a texture which is more like chocolate

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i know its all about the size of the cocoa fat particals in the chocolate mix and adding butter can redistribute hem but it normally involves beating and mixing for to long for me to bother since its perfectly delicious just as chocolate and cream and when it cools it can be spread like chocolate speard so no problems with left overs lol

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Do you think I could get away with a mix of milk and plain chocolate so it's not too bitter for littlies?

Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
Good stuff! Do you think I could get away with a mix of milk and plain chocolate so it's not too bitter for littlies?

Yes. Cream will make it sweeter than you're expecting. And, to be honest, what's the worst that can happen? The kids don't eat the sauce, so you have to hoover it up?

Pilsbury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 15 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, any chocolate makes a great dipping sauce but remember your adding a good helping of cream to it anyway so it will turn your plain chocolare into milk chocolate.
So long as your not using and 75% cocoa or above i think it should be fine for children.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive