Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Guelder Rose

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 06 2:26 pm    Post subject: Guelder Rose  Reply with quote    

This appears to be the time here for picking Guelder Rose berries for a delicious jelly. They are eaten all over the continent, but seem to be ignored here for some unknown reason ....

cab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 06 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Do you like the jelly? I found it just a little bland. Maybe my recipe was letting me down; whats yours?

doctoral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 06 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I think the trick is to use as many berries as possible, boil down with little water, an apple and some lemon juice, strain and use 1lb of sugar per pint of liquid - boil to soft setting point then eat with strongly flavoured meat, such as game or lamb.

tahir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 06 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Dunno about Guelder Rose but Sea Buckthorn is the one, amazingly health giving by the sounds of it, I've just ordered 230 of em as the shrub layer of my windbreak. Good for jams, jellies, juiced for blending with other juices, good for the skin in soaps etc.....

doctoral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 06 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

You are very lucky to be able to grow sea buckthorn - are you near the coast, or the Thames? Get the fruit in before the starlings arrive (very thorny, if I remember rightly) - they will take it apart in Autumn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Foraging All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive