Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
warmcel loft insulation
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:46 pm    Post subject: warmcel loft insulation Reply with quote

Recently topped up my inadequate loft insualtion with Warmcel 100. Its a simple DIY job though a bit messy. Consists of fairly harmless fluffy grey loose fibres from fire-resistant recycled paper. Only a fraction of the energy required for 'mainstream' loft insulation is needed to make Warmcel, and it is meant to be non-hazardous. I wore mask and gloves as it dries out the hands and produces a fine dust when crumbled out of the packet. Thermal properties are said to be good, and the brochure says it is 'unattractive' to rodents.

Has anyone else got feedback - good or bad - about this eco-friendly product?

Lozzie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the idea of this stuff, but it looks truly disgusting - like the mess I used to make with old newspaper in the guise of papier-mache.

My loft is already full of glassfibre insulation, plus boarding, plus 20 tonnes of crud, so I am unlikely to use the stuff any time in the near future.

In Stuart times they often used masses and masses of seashells as insulation between floors. Does anyone know if they are still used anywhere?

Last edited by Lozzie on Thu Dec 08, 05 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mary-Jane

Location: The Fishing Strumpet is from Ceredigion in West Wales
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're wanting to have a go with the recycled paper in between our upstairs floor joists and downstairs ceilings for sound proofing, as well as insulation. Would you mind giving me an idea of how much it costs? We may use it in the attic as well when we've finished putting in our ceilings upstairs - but we were also considering sheeps wool insulation. The problem is that it is sooooo expensive.

Last edited by Mary-Jane on Thu Dec 08, 05 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:
In Stuart times they often used masses and masses of seashells as insulation between floors. Does anyone know if they are still used anywhere?

We still have tons of loose barley as insulation between a lot of our upstairs floor joists. It was put in there during early Victorian times and we can't see the point in taking out as it's doing the job. If it 'ain't broke and all that...

ele

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pondering this as well, when we get our roof insulation upgraded, conventional stuff is probably not environmentally ideal, but as we use our loft for storing guitar cases and things like that, I don't want an avalanche of paper bits everytime I open the loft hatch

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Jane wrote:
We still have tons loose barley as insulation between a lot of our upstairs floor joists.

What about rodents?

ele

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:
We still have tons loose barley as insulation between a lot of our upstairs floor joists.

What about rodents?

I was thinking what about fire or am I being a worrywort ? (I've got a bit of a fire phobia)

Last edited by ele on Thu Dec 08, 05 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bernie66

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Jane wrote:
We're wanting to have a go with the recycled paper in between our upstairs floor joists and downstairs ceilings for sound proofing, as well as insulation. Would you mind giving me an idea of how much it costs? We may use it in the attic as well when we've finished putting in our ceilings upstairs - but we were also considering sheeps wool insulation. The problem is that it is sooooo expensive.

Is the recycled paper treated to be flame retardant?

Mary-Jane

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tahir wrote:
What about rodents?

We also have four cats, one of whom (Wanda) is a first class (with honours) rat/mouse/vole/mole/pigeon/rabbit catcher. Within a few weeks of her arrival, no rodents were ever seen or heard in the house alive again. Her record to date is 6 dead in one day...and deposited on the mat in the kitchen in various states of dismemberment...

tahir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary-Jane wrote:
6 dead in one day...and deposited on the mat in the kitchen in various states of dismemberment...

Nice...

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ele wrote:
tahir wrote:
Mary-Jane wrote:

What about rodents?

I was thinking what about fire or am I being a worrywort ? (I've got a bit of a fire phobia)

One of the houses on Grand Designs used this stuff. Kevin was invited to put a match to it and he could not get it take.

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:

One of the houses on Grand Designs used this stuff. Kevin was invited to put a match to it and he could not get it take.

Are you talking about warmcel or loose barley?

Peter.

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:

Here are some links (which I haven't looked at), supplied by a UK straw-baler called Chug:

If you are interested in using shells for insulation then there is some
info on mussel shells on the website for the Friland community in
Denmark where workshops for the ISBBC 04 were held, Lars Keller has
them and Steen Moller has them on his roof too
(https://www.dr.dk/friland/undersider/byggerihjemmesider/lars/byggeri_lar
s_logbog_2003_eng.htm)

(https://www.dr.dk/friland/English/english_byggerihjemmesider/dorthea-og-
steen/byggeri_dorthea_steen_familie.htm)

Peter.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Peter.

Sorry; WarmCell

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 05 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Blue Peter wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:

Peter.

Sorry; WarmCell

I should think so too, implying that Kevin the polymath couldn't even light loose barley! Even I could do that, unless I was using it as kindling for a fire

Peter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive