Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
yvon chouinard, eco hero
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 22 2:33 pm    Post subject: yvon chouinard, eco hero Reply with quote

nice bloke and his kit kept me alive and mobile a few times

that amount of cash might help if used well

i had not noticed the link between the Patagonia brand and the chouinard brand from ice kit days
ace crampons and assorted spikes and screws for many situations, i was never fond of the axes and hammers for climbing mixed snows, mixed ices or that wee bit of verglas covered rock, but they are ace and reliable walking sticks on cold mountains, they would fall arrest which is always good

well done sir, thanks and thanks for your lifetime of making a way for you to have fun that did good rather than harm and making a super final ascent

PS he aint dead, just sorting his affairs

gz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 22 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a news report on that. Well done him

tahir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 22 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 22 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good way to use the money his company has made. I am forever getting e-mails from people saying how we can make our company more profitable; we don't want to, we just want to run it as well as we can and provide things people want. It is going to have to take on people as husband and I become less physically capable, but we still want to run the same way.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 22 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great exception to the rule

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting point being made that we maybe shouldn't embrace this with open arms. I think it's an article on medium.
Essentially, just because we prefer his politics, we probably shouldn't applaud him using the same tactics as all the other billionaires that want to maintain control of a huge ledger sheet, but to avoid hundreds of millions in taxes. And that just because we agree with the politics that will be espoused, we shouldn't just blindly applaud the means, which is essentially not much different than the dark money political funding that has been destroying America since "citizens united", and of course all of the international knock on effects from that.
In other words, this type of procedure concentrates political power in the hands of the economically elite. We maybe shouldn't be overly excited just because this is the first time it's one we think we'll agree with....

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever the means, even a semi accidental success at making money and then hands off after that is acceptable as this use of the gains seems ok, at least to me

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://sylvanaqua.medium.com/patagonia-is-accelerating-the-end-of-democracy-964436d72f52

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no faith in the enemy's good will, if a part of their resources can be diverted to good things etc

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest take away is that no one should have this pathway available to then, regardless of how much we prefer them taking the pathway than others

Slim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 22 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wealth and power are maintained by not selling assets, but instead by sucking then around.
The new Patagonia move will probably do good things, but the US has been hobbled in it's ability to do good things by the rich controlling government (always using the costs as a reason to not pass comprehensive social safety nets, climate legislation, etc)

https://www.propublica.org/article/the-secret-irs-files-trove-of-never-before-seen-records-reveal-how-the-wealthiest-avoid-income-tax

We should have billions or trillions more to throw about moving us toward a clean energy future. Instead we'll get lobbying

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 22 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about trusts is that ordinary people can use them too. In the UK, estate duty starts at a pretty low level, so if you own your own house , not mansion, in some parts of the country and pass it on to an only child they get stung for estate duty as the residual legatee. Our solicitor managed to reduce the estate duty I had to pay when my parents died, by perfectly legal and ethical means, but it was still a good bit of money. If he hadn't, I would have had to pay over the rate I was paying for income tax.

Yes, very rich people should pay more, but sadly they can pay for accountants and lawyers to hide, manipulate and otherwise reduce tax burdens, even if things like trusts are not used.

sgt.colon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 22 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice that such people exist and what an very altruistic thing to do.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 22 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the US, estate taxes don't start until you're well into the millions. I don't think I know anyone personally that would be affected by them.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 22 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More follow up from Chris Newman. He's a polarizing guy, and likes to be. You don't have to agree with him, but he does usually bring a different perspective to topics than I see elsewhere: https://sylvanaqua.medium.com/how-yvon-chouinard-bought-goodwill-for-billionaires-for-next-to-nothing-c011bc3af93d

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Conservation and Environment All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive