links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Could I dye a stained Aran jumper?
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:08 am    Post subject: Could I dye a stained Aran jumper? Reply with quote

I've just washed a lovely jumper of Treacodactyl's, a beautiful Aran his mum made for him. It has come out fine but there are still marks on it which I think were coffee stains, and it's a bit grubby at the cuffs.

I have the ball bands from the wool, it's a 100% wool by Wendy. Would any kind of dye (commercial or natural, we're happy to experiment and not precious about it) work to disguise the marks and ageing? It wouldn't need to be perfect - black, navy, brown, dark green perhaps, just to make the marks stand out less. I suspect it wouldn't completely cover them up.

(And - I haven't asked him if he minds, yet...)
Thanks in advance.
Me

gz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're sure it is coffee, perhaps dye it with coffee?

Is Sallyin Wales online?

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it will survive the wool wash in the machine, the Dylon dyes will dye wool at that temperature, I quite often do pure wool fabric that way. Put the jumper in damp and you'll get a better dye take up

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain it's coffee..it could be red wine that has faded

It is coffee coloured though, that would be a really nice idea if it could work.

Edited as I posted while Sally did - thanks, that is very useful. I shall have an explore. Is there any particular name/type I should look for or are the all much of a muchness?

mochyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red wine (particularly port) fades to grey.

Don't ask.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the Dylon machine dye you want, comes in a box and you add salt when you use it. Expect a slightly lighter shade as you'll be doing it on a cool wash, but a packet is ample for a jumper. The cold water version would also work, (comes in tiny tins) but I'd still do it on the wool cycle of the machine to ensure it takes evenly all over

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they're stains as such but as I've worn the jumper a fair bit it's got sticky patches on it that don't wash out. I know this is sounding rather dodgy but I think they may just be splashes of oil from where I've been cooking and then these pick up dirt which just doesn't wash out on a wool cycle. The rest of the jumper is also going slightly grey, again it seems to be where the wool wash isn't getting it really clean.

Perhaps a light grey would make it a bit more respectable.

toggle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to be careful dyeing over oil blotches. any patch covered in oil won't take dye.

marigold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could wash it in washing soda first to remove any grease. If it's washable wool it'll probably tolerate a bit more heat than 30deg too - washing at 40degs with soda in with the detergent might clean it up better than a wool cycle. Wool labelled "superwash" is impossible to shrink in my experience, even if you want it to! Very hot washing does remove it's "springiness" though IYKWIM, so I wouldn't go above 40deg. Have you got any spare yarn that you could knit a test square with to experiment with washing temps?

Bugs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A test square would be a good plan but we've only got enough yarn to darn with, I'll ask the (not exactly) MIL if she has any spare though. Washing soda might be an explore, failing that we'll try to pick a colour that would match/not highlight the marks - he'd actually quite like it to be mottled anyway, perhaps I should get a toothbrush and some sunflower oil and try getting artistic

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful washing wool in washing soda - the alkali will affect the wool.

It might felt in the machine anyway as you try to dye it.

I'd say just keep wearing the jumper as it is, it sounds as if it's his goto jumper for cold days so just wear it for gardening etc and be proud.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold water dye it and tie dye? You can either put a stick in it and put elastic bands round the stick for concentric circles or put little bits of it in 'ponytails' to make random circles (this makes very hippy looking babygrows. Although I was them regularly, the dye has stood up just fine)

Rowanlady

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it might be organic-based grease maybe try soaking in a biological stain remover (ie Biotex) or a biological washing powder

I've rescued many a stained garment that way - it's surprising how they can shift stains and marks that resist washing removal

Midland Spinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowanlady wrote:
If it might be organic-based grease maybe try soaking in a biological stain remover (ie Biotex) or a biological washing powder

I've rescued many a stained garment that way - it's surprising how they can shift stains and marks that resist washing removal

Noooo, don't use bilogical stuff on wool! The enzymes eat the fibre!

LisaP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 10 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would shampoo be gentle enough for wool? I've got oily cooking splashes out of a black cotton jumper by dabbing on neat shampoo onto the stain (on a damp garment) and rubbing in gently, then leaving for a short while before washing as normal. Neither ecover washing liquid nor ecover stain remover had shifted it in the previous 2 washes (and tumble dry )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive