Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
would you do this?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Author 

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 4:40 pm    Post subject: would you do this? Reply with quote

Our local council is offering a compost collection service, fortnightly and at £29 per year.

All the details are here

slightly pesty that they won't take kitchen scraps but we can fill our own compost bins with that. This would be used for grass clippings, prunings (we don't have a shredder) and cardboard (which we seem to generate a disproportionate amount of)

Is it a good step or not? we just find that our own compost bins aren't going down quick enough to put our stuff in especially if we want to keep the mix right without too many grass clippings.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our recycling scheme takes green garden waste in bags, they give us rolls of clear bags, paper in one, clippings in another and everything else recyclable all jumbled up together in a third

Jb

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you pay them extra and they get the benefit of the compost?

2steps

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have the same scheme running here but don't have to pay for it.

Lozzie

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if they are prepared to take green waste, they should take ALL green (or should I say "compostable") waste.

Otherwise it is just yet another set of confusing rules, regulations, guidelines and commandments being dished out to an already confused populace.

Er, sorry - not directed at you personally Mrs F!

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't, unless you feel you'll benefit from it. We don't cut the grass or prune anything often enough to bother, and when we do, the local tip recycle it for free, and sell back the compost at a reasonable rate.

I'm going to get a rabbit to mow the lawn for its summer job (as soon as I have a greenhouse for it to keep frost free for its winter job!_

Lozzie

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs F, me no undersnday. You have too much cardboard and too many grass clippings ... do not the two cancel each other out nicely?

Have you tried accellerating your heap with good old fashioned weeeee?

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lozzie wrote:
Mrs F, me no undersnday. You have too much cardboard and too many grass clippings ... do not the two cancel each other out nicely?

Have you tried accellerating your heap with good old fashioned weeeee?

you've not seen our plot have you - its the centre plot of an open windy field on the edge of a hill, there is nowhere discreet to have a quiet pee - and I thought us ladies weren't supposed to add ours to the heap anyways. We've two composters up there and another one here, we're filling them up quicker than it can break down. There is a reasonable amount of lawn to mow. If we're only putting kitchen type waste and a controlled amount of grass to cardboard then we can make our own at a manageable rate. Its either that or get more compost heaps.

Is the refusual of taking kitchen scraps on the basis of animal contamination a spurious one?

Bernie66

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would if I didnr use it all myself. Not impressed with the charge, but £29 per year for that much extra recycling is worth it.

Mrs Fiddlesticks

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the things we have trouble with is the large weeping willow in the front garden. To avoid the parish council clerk knocking on the door and pointing out that residents have to duck under it to walk up the pavement we have to give it regular trims. I've a book on making baskets out of hedgerow things but even so there's still far too much of it to think of adding to the compost heap.

I was heartened to see they'd take couch grass in it; we've been known to try and burn the stuff, which it doesn't do very well.

I agree the charge is abit of a cheek. I've no sense on what the uptake is, if everyone did it would the charge drop, dunno..

jax

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 06 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they take our garden waste as well, for £29.00, to make compost. but apparently north norfolk dc are having days when you can get compost but it hasnt said whether the compost is free. they recently had a green build day and you could help yourself to free compost there.

mark

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use the service...

BUT write to the council and you local newspaper and ask WHY the local council are TAXING composting but providing landfill rubbish collections for free.

Point out tha this is the wrong way round.
Ask why you local council has such anti -environmental policies.

Questiion the competence of politicians who haven't got the sense to see this!

Campaign hard and make alot of noise. you might be surprised to find you can make a difference.

Mark

bernie-woman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
I would use the service...

BUT write to the council and you local newspaper and ask WHY the local council are TAXING composting but providing landfill rubbish collections for free.

Point out tha this is the wrong way round.
Ask why you local council has such anti -environmental policies.

Mark

I would agree with mark - I have never heard of a council charging for picking up green waste - i.e garden waste - we have a collection as part of our council tax - I would be asking a few pertinent questions

They too won't pick up kitchen scraps but I was told that is because they cannot trust residents not to put in meat scraps, bread etc.. which would attarct vermin

Lozzie

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs F - regarding the delicate question of wee ...

Ladies' wee is as good as that supplied by the menfolk, I believe.

I do mine into a little pot in the privacy of my own en suite and then put it in a bottle and take it over to the lottie every other day or so. Apart from it being physically impossible, drastically uncomfortable and seriously arrestable to try and do it at the lottie, it is easier to collect it at home (and saves flushing water).

Apologies for aiming off-topic here; I'll wipe the seat.

Rowanlady

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 06 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark wrote:
.......... I have never heard of a council charging for picking up green waste - i.e garden waste - we have a collection as part of our council tax - I would be asking a few pertinent questions............

Our council charges for collecting green waste -

" After 29 March 2004, garden waste is not allowed in wheeled bins. Instead there are three ways you can compost your garden waste.......Home Composting; Household Waste Recycling Centres; and -

Garden Waste Collection
For just £20 a year, we will supply you with a tough, re-usable sack and empty it once a fortnight. Additional sacks for the same address are just £10 a year each. To subscribe to the garden waste service either call us on xxxxxxxx "

Many questions have been asked and the gist of the answer is that it is part of the agreement with the waste management contractor, Project Integra - covers all Hampshire

Then after it is all composted they SELL it back to us as ProGro - good stuff and almost peat-free (depends on what people put in)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Reduce, Reuse, Recycle All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive