Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Need enlightening about making/using 'proper' stock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 4:59 pm    Post subject: Need enlightening about making/using 'proper' stock Reply with quote

As a long time veggie, I've only been cooking meat for a couple of years and it still only forms a small part of our diet but when we do eat meat we try and make sure it comes from a free range/organic if poss source.

Last week, our local organic supplier Hooton's, had chicken carcasses (with quite a lot of meat left on them) for sale for £1, so we got a couple.

The meat made;

- a generous risotto
- a good treat for the cats
- and a pan of chicken stock

What I would like to learn a lot more about it what to do with this lovely saucepan of stock!

It simmered away on the woodburner for and evening, I reckon there's about a pint, pint and a half in quantity.

What confuses me is - How exactly do I use it? Do I 'dilute' it?

I have a great sounding recipe for vegetable broth with basil and garlic oil which calls for 3 pints of stock for 4 people, so it makes sense to me that my quantity would be fine for the two of us.

Are there any basic rules I should be getting to grips with? How much water should I put with a small chicken carcass?

EV

Cathryn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there are any rules. I wouldn't dilute the stock you have made but taste it and see if you thionk it will overwhelm the other flavours you plan to use. Maybe I would make a risotto as I particularly like chicken stock with the vegetable ones I make. I always hope to freeze some. Or whatever I have around gets added to it, peppers, herbs, veg, onions and a soup develops.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No rules, but this might help.

earthyvirgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
No rules, but this might help.

Oh Jamanda, I didn't actually look here, sorry and thanks

EV

Sherbs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Use it as the liquid, or part of the liquid for cooking rice or couscous with

2) Put t in a pot and add stuff to make soup, or use it when making gravy

3) freeze in small quantities and then you can use as much as you need at any one time.

nettie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always freeze it in chinese-style cartons, it's so handy, one of those is generally enough to use as a base for soup for two or to add to couscous. I never have enough stock so going to the butcher's for carcasses is a great idea, thanks

cuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 10 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn it into chicken soup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive