About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Pigs
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:19 pm    Post subject: Pigs Reply with quote

The wife of a local hunter has suggested that I (potentially) take an orphan wild boar, that they will inevitably have on their hands later this year...to be kept & probably bred with , what they term here as "pink pigs" ....ultimately, I suppose to eat the resulting young 'uns

I know there are a few keepers of pigs on here; & I have myself considered before now....but I'd like some first hand accounts of pigly experiences..ins & outs; ups & downs; pros & cons etc., as now it could get real as opposed to just theoretical

Thanks in advance

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard work, a black hole for money, you will end up muddy, wet and cold, several times a day, they will push you over, and not be grateful.
They will make your paddock look like The Somme, and you'll smell of pig shit so often you don't notice it.
Your feed bills will be astronomical, and so might your vets' bills. You'll need to sort out an abattoir, a butcher, extra freezer space, borrow a sausage machine, and have a shed full of mouldy salamis. You'll need to learn to make and enjoy brawn, offal and headcheese.

It makes no sense to keep pigs.

But, I can't wait to get more.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty gwyn is the chap to ask but my opinion is the hairier the pig the more "bitey"it may be(see various mangalitza threads)

that said hairy pigs do have a wonderful flavour and are ace for hams ,bacon etc

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
It's hard work, a black hole for money, you will end up muddy, wet and cold, several times a day, they will push you over, and not be grateful.
They will make your paddock look like The Somme, and you'll smell of pig shit so often you don't notice it.
Your feed bills will be astronomical, and so might your vets' bills. You'll need to sort out an abattoir, a butcher, extra freezer space, borrow a sausage machine, and have a shed full of mouldy salamis. You'll need to learn to make and enjoy brawn, offal and headcheese.

It makes no sense to keep pigs.

But, I can't wait to get more.

Funnily enough, I've heard this said before, but am not deterred

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:
ty gwyn is the chap to ask but my opinion is the hairier the pig the more "bitey"it may be(see various mangalitza threads)

that said hairy pigs do have a wonderful flavour and are ace for hams ,bacon etc

not heard that hairy pigs were "bitey"...the people in question already have 2, & they describe only as "lively"

would be interesting to see

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descriptions often depend on if you're a buyer or a seller.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Descriptions often depend on if you're a buyer or a seller.

noted

mochyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they want you to do their work for them. Why can't they keep it? And one on it's own will ever be a happy pig.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They find themselves with young boars, not only after they have killed the mother, but occasionally for "other reasons"; they already have other pigs, plus I think it's just a way of not letting anything go to waste, which a very big thing around here

They suggested I take 1 of the domestic pinks & the orphan when the occasion arises...as yet, they have no orphans but "inevitably" will have later
There was never any suggestion that I take a single pig

alison
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't add them by one into a herd.

I would have the same age, together.

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take two pigs, get better fencing than you think you need, plan ahead for freezer space, and get on with it. It's great fun.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree on the freezer space - you never have enough.

Bodger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly certain that Ty Gwyn will try and put you off that idea. Wild boar are not a breed for the novice.

mousjoos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodger wrote:
I'm fairly certain that Ty Gwyn will try and put you off that idea. Wild boar are not a breed for the novice.

I agree, which I why I would like to hear what others have to say before getting into something tricky to get out of

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 14 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousjoos wrote:
Bodger wrote:

I agree, which I why I would like to hear what others have to say before getting into something tricky to get out of

To be honest,i`ve had no more trouble with the Wild Boar than either the GOS,Berks,or Tamworth crosses i`ve had,except you do need Good solid fences,as the Wild Boar have more brain cells than domestic breeds,as i`ve seen them pull the bolts on gates to get out.

But saying that,i have only ever had pig netting and barb top and bottom,never bothered with electric,and some on here who have seen my Wild Boar will testify they are not nasty and have handled them,others will testify that they are very tasty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Livestock and Pets All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive