Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 05 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is not quite as bad as that, so I do see where you are coming from

wellington womble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 05 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ele wrote:
tawny owl wrote:
The 'flowerpot' ones are a pain - they won't fit in the toaster, and you'll get about 4 huge slices and that's the loaf gone!

That's one of the reasons I rarely use mine

I specifically bought the panasonic, cos it made a loaf shaped loaf. The larger ones are a lot taller than average, and don't fit in the toaster, but the medium loaf is just right, and is the proper shape!

2steps

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 05 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pan is the tall type but I turn the bread on its side and slice it so they are almost normal sized rather than long

I have a morphy richrads breadmaker, had it for about 5 years. makes jam and cakes as well. I find the dough setting really useful as well. would really like one of the double paned bread makers

2blackcat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 05 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Panasonic

I was recommended it almost a year ago and have been using it regularly (not every day)

The nut dispenser is a must. It seems the seeded bread is the most popular in our house

Costco were doing them a little cheaper a couple of weeks back, if that's any help. Still not cheap though

WhiteWolf

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 05 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've ordered myself a Panasonic SD253, A Yule prezzie to me from me

It won't be despatched till after the 25th, can't work out why no-one is working today

I will let you all know how things go.

WW

WhiteWolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well santa delivered late here this morning - disguised as a UPS guy and brought us our bread maker.

just turned out our very first loaf - naughty white bread looks absolutely gorgeous if I say so myself.

Can't wait to get at it, but must let it cool at least a ickle bit

Next one will be a wholemeal/white mix.

WW

mark

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use a breadmaker
however i do use food processor to need the dough for my bread in a matter of seconds instead of usual 10 mins or so!!

I think bread baked in oven tastes better than any I tasted from a breadmaker -

but i usually like my bread baked open on tray rather than in a bread tin anyway!

i think i get a little less consistency than with a bread maker - but I like the personal involvement of peeping in the oven and getting the crust as hard or sof as i like etc..

fenwoman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 05 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an el cheapo argos own brand one which I bought 3 years ago and find it brilliant. I think it was less than £40 and makes lovely bread. I like sprinkling sunflower,sesame or poppy seeds on the loaves. I make nice raisin loaf too. I can highly recommend it.

Allotment Lady

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 05 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old cheapo breadmaker, and I just use it on dough mix, for mixing the dough and the first rise.

I just tip out the mixture, and either put it into bread tins or make all shapes of loaves and rolls.

The reason I don't leave it to cook through to the finish is it doesn't seem to taste quite the same and it is awkward getting the paddle mixer thingy out of the bottom, I ended up having a big hole in the bottom and the loaf tin shape was one of the tall ones.

Do you have the same problem with the panasonic? Mine must be on its last legs as it squeaks etc so we have been debating getting another.

https://kooringa.blogspot.com

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 05 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think all bread machines leave a hole in the bottom of the loaf where the paddle goes, the Panasonic SD-253 does. We tend to make dough quite often, either for rolls or piza and make bread in the machine for work. It seems easy to clean apart from the fidly paddle, not sure what the other machines are like as we've only had the one.

culpepper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 05 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've got a morphy richards breadmaker that I bought last January.I've used it every day.
I noticed a while ago,that there is now a version that retracts the blade before it starts to bake the bread ,meaning no hole but it was about £100,while mine was around the mid £ 30's.I think it was also a morphy richards but chrome coloured rather than white.
I have heard that if you add crushed vitamin c to your mixture,the bread lasts longer but when I checked out what is in a pack of vitamin c, I decided that we'd do without.
Asda's dried yeast has some kind of flour improver in it whch gives quite well risen loaves but mostly I use Alinsons in the little orange tin which gives good results so long as it isnt kept too long.

sally_in_wales
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 05 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hook out the paddle if I notice the knead cycle has stopped but before the bread proves too much. Makes for a hole-free loaf

Deedee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 05 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to try that in the morning Sally,I never thought of doing that Mind you Dad normally gets the holey bits

fengrrl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 06 3:20 pm    Post subject: no machine bread Reply with quote

I've never found it a hardship to make bread the old-fashioned way. It takes time, but not your time, you just have to adapt your routine - and if you're working round the house it's easy to do.

I use a sponge method - put warm water in bowl with flour and yeast to make a sloppy batter and go and do something else for an hour or so - 3/4 pint per large loaf and water just warm to your touch. When it suits you to spend 10 minute kneading add enough flour to make it kneadable and a good spoonful of salt and knead it - and kneading is good fun and good for the upper arms. I often sing while I do it. Shape it into loaves and put them in oiled tins if you're using tins and leave them on the preheating oven to rise for 45 minutes to an hour and bake a large loaf at Gas 7 for 35 minutes. You can put some in the freezer if you can't bake every day. You can use any mix of flours, as long as there's a predominance of wheat for the gluten, and add seeds or oil or porage oats to taste, or make fun shapes like plaits. Don't wash your bread tins too thoroughly as the build up of burnt oil makes them wonderfully non-stick.

It's a bit trickier if I'm using the (solid fuel) Rayburn because the temperature isn't very controllable.

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 06 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.electricshopping.com/shop/shop.do?pvSKU=48268

£42 for the one with retracting blade, quite tempting!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Make Your Own/DIY All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive