Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
How much insulation
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects

How much insulation do you have in your loft
None
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
0-50mm
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
51-100mm
27%
 27%  [ 10 ]
101-150mm
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
151-200mm
25%
 25%  [ 9 ]
more
19%
 19%  [ 7 ]
I live in a tent and believe insulation to be for soft southerners only
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 36

Author 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 3:53 pm    Post subject: How much insulation Reply with quote

do you have in your loft? and how much should you have? Only I notice Focus have a two for one on huge great rolls of loft insulation so that it works out as about £2 / sq m for 170mm insulation.

They also have smaller rolls (the ones that will fit between the joists) which are foil backed for more money but they would be easier to handle while installing rather than something that's about 4 foot wide.

So how much would you install? At what point does diminishing returns take over?

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How much insulation Reply with quote

JB wrote:
At what point does diminishing returns take over?

That will depend on how quickly you want pay back, the external ambient temperature and the available room you have to insulate. It's relatively easy to calculate though.

Barefoot Andrew
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone for 0-50mm, because I don't actually know.

My attic has been converted into a third bedroom (curiously, for survey purposes it's not legally a "bedroom" because it doesn't have a fire door apparently ) Anyway, the ceiling of said room is polystyrene tiling (which wouldn't be legal to fit now) and I don't what what is behind it or indeed how much space exists between it and the roof. Planning to have a poke into one at some point and find out...

A.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got that ground-up newspaper stuff in my loft - so much more fun to fit than that nasty yellow stuff.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got about four inches, so I've ticked 50-100mm. Apparently we are eligible for a £300 grant from the council to add to that, though.

In our last house we had the ground-up newspaper stuff, it was great, particularly since it covered up the place where the plaster board had come away from the joists

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got about four inches, so I've ticked 50-100mm. Apparently we are eligible for a £300 grant from the council to add to that, though.

In our last house we had the ground-up newspaper stuff, it was great, particularly since it covered up the place where the plaster board had come away from the joists

lettucewoman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....haven't got a loft

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:

I can get £300 worth of paper then get it! Fit it under the roll-up stuff and begin to melt. Either that, or replace your existing with paper and insulate the chickens.

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
Chez wrote:

I can get £300 worth of paper then get it! Fit it under the roll-up stuff and begin to melt. Either that, or replace your existing with paper and insulate the chickens.

The chickens are already insulated with bubble wrap.

*radiates cheery smugness*

Also, I'd be worried that they'd eat the fibreglass .

Has anyone got the sheeps wool stuff? I fancy it, but it's much more expensive. And what's the difference between that and visiting the wool-sales and buying up knackered old fleeces and shoving them in your loft?

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:
Has anyone got the sheeps wool stuff? I fancy it, but it's much more expensive. And what's the difference between that and visiting the wool-sales and buying up knackered old fleeces and shoving them in your loft?

No, but it is supposed to be good if you live in a damp area, say, oh, I don't know... Wales. It gives off heat when it gets damp (note damp, not wet).

The main difference would be the smell. Also, I think the battons are treated with flambar or similar.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern_Lad wrote:
It gives off heat when it gets damp (note damp, not wet).

So do Group One metals. Are they good for insulation then?

vegplot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chez wrote:

Be careful of moth.

Northern_Lad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
Northern_Lad wrote:
It gives off heat when it gets damp (note damp, not wet).

So do Group One metals. Are they good for insulation then?

Depends how much air they trap and how conductive whilst dry.

Silas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err.....none

chez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 08 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vegplot wrote:
Chez wrote:

Be careful of moth.

With knackered old fleece? Or with the posh stuff? Or both? That was one of the things that worried me a bit. And mice. And the whole house smelling a bit like a sheep-shed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive