Home Page
   Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
oil seed rape honey extraction
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary
Author 
 Message
Pel



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Posts: 2366
Location: Sennybridge
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 08 5:04 pm    Post subject:  Reply with quote    

Dad kept 4 hives on a SSSI field at work, he gave them 6 jars free, and then sold honey to them to sell in the shop.. he sold them at 2.50 per Lb and the shop sold them at 3.75 as Llanerchaeron honey, as in theory the bees could have pollenated their flowers.

This was two years ago, this year he had to take the hives from there as they were re-fencing the field.. the bees shared the field with rams or bulls. He used to take bees down to kent from lancashire to the OSR fields and orchards.. i'll see how he extracted his honey.

Tavascarow



Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 8404
Location: South Cornwall
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 08 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

RichardW wrote:
TAVASCAROW wrote:
Just had a thought!!
You could dissolve it & make a big batch of mead?


How much would 1 jar make?
Is it easy to make?

I was replying to Mrs Fiddlesticks question about OSR honey.
Haven't made mead myself but I imagine 2 to 3 jars per gallon.
The commercial beekeepers love OSR because the crop is huge & dependable unlike heather & clover which are very weather/temp dependant & the bees fill supers in a few days as apposed to weeks but I agree with James, sets & tastes like a block of sugar.
Commercially they allow it to part crystalise after extraction then it is homogonised to make cream honey which doesn't crystalise after but it still tastes the same.

tahir



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 43942
Location: Essex
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 08 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

James wrote:
Almost sickly sweet, with a very strong distinctice smell. Not my favourite


Tastes of very little though

StuP



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 123
Location: Aberdeenshire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 08 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I believe you need to extract OSR honey immediately. If it's left to crystallise then it's a case of mashing up the combs and gently warming to separate out the honey from the wax. You can cream OSR honey with a very heavy duty mixer to break down the crystals but it's hard work.

Unfortunately our bees didn't make it through the winter. We'll see about aquiring more next year.

StuP



Joined: 19 Jan 2006
Posts: 123
Location: Aberdeenshire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 08 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Oh, and as for mead, we made a five gallon drum up a couple of years ago - took about 40 jars of honey. That was one incentive to get bees in the first place.

joanne



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 7086
Location: Morecambe, Lancashire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 08 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

James wrote:
I was allergic to bee stings (not good with 3 hives in the garded and two wild broods in the house), so we stopped keeping bees.

Do you grow out of allergies? I'd like to keep bees again, but I'm concerned I'd swell up like a big red balloon (which what used to happen).


I don't know whether you can grow out of an allergy like bee stings but you can be de-sensitised I believe - I'd ask your GP for a referral to the local allergy clinic to be tested in a safe environment and go from there

Tavascarow



Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 8404
Location: South Cornwall
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 08 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

James wrote:


I was allergic to bee stings (not good with 3 hives in the garded and two wild broods in the house), so we stopped keeping bees.

Do you grow out of allergies? I'd like to keep bees again, but I'm concerned I'd swell up like a big red balloon (which what used to happen).

Swelling isn't a sign of allergy.
If I get stung around the face I swell badly but I'm not allergic to bee stings.
Usually the first sting or two at the beginning of the season I get swelling but after that no more than a little irritation.
Anaphylactic shock on the other hand is life threatening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphylaxis

James



Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 2865
Location: York
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

TAVASCAROW wrote:
James wrote:


I was allergic to bee stings (not good with 3 hives in the garded and two wild broods in the house), so we stopped keeping bees.

Do you grow out of allergies? I'd like to keep bees again, but I'm concerned I'd swell up like a big red balloon (which what used to happen).

Swelling isn't a sign of allergy.


true, perhaps "allergic" is the wrong word. An extreme reaction is probably more appropriate.

No matter where I was stung, all the glands in my body, from the back of my neck to my bollocks and everything inbetween, would swell up badly. The glands at the back of my throat would swell to the point were breathing was restricted (though I never felt in any danger of not being able to breath.).

Tavascarow



Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 8404
Location: South Cornwall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

James wrote:


true, perhaps "allergic" is the wrong word. An extreme reaction is probably more appropriate.

No matter where I was stung, all the glands in my body, from the back of my neck to my bollocks and everything inbetween, would swell up badly. The glands at the back of my throat would swell to the point were breathing was restricted (though I never felt in any danger of not being able to breath.).

I'm not medical but anything other than local reaction I would consider an allergy.
Best stay away IMO or if your determined get an epipen before you have a test stinging.

Mrs Fiddlesticks



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 10460

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

back to OSR extraction if I may. Apparently we need a pratley tray? does that mean anything to you Tavascarow? Can't find much by googling the phrase so far

joanne



Joined: 28 Oct 2004
Posts: 7086
Location: Morecambe, Lancashire
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Having looked myself - I think this is what Thornes call a Standard Uncapping Tray at the lovely cheap price of 212+VAT - Although I suspect if you are going to have lots of OSR honey it might be worth investing

I found this bit of info from here http://www.beedata.com/data2/basic_honey_processing.htm which might help

Quote:
Possibly the beekeeper has been caught out by oil seed rape, and has combs of solid honey. Providing the super frames have never been used for brood-rearing, this can still be recovered, Try scraping the comb back to the midrib. If the granulation is not too hard, this can be achieved. If not, smash out the whole comb, break the comb up into a bucket, put the lid on and warm in a honey warming cabinet or controllable oven to 480C to liquefy the honey, but not the wax. Then it can be filtered as before. This sort of procedure will soon convince the beginner of the benefit of the centrifugal extractor.

Mrs Fiddlesticks



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 10460

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

jocorless wrote:
Having looked myself - I think this is what Thornes call a Standard Uncapping Tray at the lovely cheap price of 212+VAT - Although I suspect if you are going to have lots of OSR honey it might be worth investing

I found this bit of info from here http://www.beedata.com/data2/basic_honey_processing.htm which might help

Quote:
Possibly the beekeeper has been caught out by oil seed rape, and has combs of solid honey. Providing the super frames have never been used for brood-rearing, this can still be recovered, Try scraping the comb back to the midrib. If the granulation is not too hard, this can be achieved. If not, smash out the whole comb, break the comb up into a bucket, put the lid on and warm in a honey warming cabinet or controllable oven to 480C to liquefy the honey, but not the wax. Then it can be filtered as before. This sort of procedure will soon convince the beginner of the benefit of the centrifugal extractor.


that's what I think it means on reflection. The frames aren't solid 100% OSR but enough to make spinning difficult. I'm going to cut a frame back and warm in oven and see what happens I think. The temp thing is interesting info. Books so far had been vague and I didn't want to over heat it all.

Tavascarow



Joined: 06 Aug 2006
Posts: 8404
Location: South Cornwall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 08 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

I'm assuming that's 48 deg C not 480 C
A pratley tray is exactly the same as thornes expensive uncapping tray.
https://secure.thorne.co.uk/popup/extract9.htm
An old fridge with a light bulb connected to a thermostat would be a lot cheaper. 50w bulb will heat a fridge to 48C easily.
Wondering if you could warm the frames before uncapping & then extract in the usual way?

Mrs Fiddlesticks



Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 10460

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 08 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote    

got an uncapping tray and it worked. Not quick though. Strained it through a double strainer so there is only minimal wax on top in the bucket.




plan is to let that honey set and then cream it before bottling

Lorrainelovesplants



Joined: 13 Oct 2006
Posts: 6473
Location: Cornwall
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 08 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote    

Our bees finish on OSR at end June. your best to take it off right away. If you cant get it out of the comb now, remove this comb and put it somewhere and replace it for winter feeding. the bees will then consume it through the lean autumn time. Did it last year, saved me feeding with fondant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> The Apiary All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

 

Archive
Powered by php-BB © 2001, 2005 php-BB Group
Style by marsjupiter.com, released under GNU (GNU/GPL) license.
Copyright 2004 marsjupiter.com

<-- -->