links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Three sisters planting.
Page 1, 2  Next

Author 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 9:30 am    Post subject: Three sisters planting. Reply with quote

I thought I would give this a go.Has anyone done it sucessfully?
I am not sure re the timings of seed sowing as the corn would need to be fairly tall to allow the beans to climb,also the squash may take over if planted too soon.

cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of works. If you plan to harvest the corn to dry, and to take in dry beans, its great. If you want juicy corn on the cob and green beans, its not so good. Its simply very hard to get in and pick without trampling things down, and its a pig to even find the beans.

But squashes trailing among either beans or sweetcorm work very nicely indeed.

gardening-girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, perhaps two sisters,just do corn and squash.

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do 2 sisters planting

we have squash amongst the sweetcorn or squash (gherkins usually) between the bean canes.

i think in this climate, the sweetcorn does not grow fast enough for the beans to climb them

cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening-girl wrote:
So, perhaps two sisters,just do corn and squash.

Thats what I do. Corn with squash trailing through, and beans with squash trailing through. For how most of us use those vegetables that works really well, with the big squash leaves keeping the weeds down and shading the roots of the taller plants.

wellington womble

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it twice, with massively reduced yields. I just couldn't get enough food or water in. I'm a lazy gardener, and it was a dry year, though.

TimNeo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try every year, beans never do well, so gave up and do two sisters too! loads of results, except when badgers eat everything

astra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it last year. The corn was eaten by the sparrows before I got to it. Barlotti beans cropped well. Squash were on the small side. It was very hard to give them all enough water and didn't seem like a good idea environmentally. Might try again with a very thick mulch of something.

astra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimNeo wrote:
I try every year, beans never do well, so gave up and do two sisters too! loads of results, except when badgers eat everything

They seem to love corn and strwberries. Our veg garden is fenced all round with galvanised sheets. Not very pretty but it works against the rabbits too.

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem is always that I forget to give everything enough room. I inevitably try to get as much into the garden space as possible, reducing yields overall I think. When your corn is sharing land with another crop, space it further apart then you would if it were by itself!

Nicky cigreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badgers dug up my carrot crop year before last. bless.....

judith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
When your corn is sharing land with another crop, space it further apart then you would if it were by itself!

But how does this affect pollination (which is my biggest problem with corn)?

Slim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judith wrote:
Slim wrote:
When your corn is sharing land with another crop, space it further apart then you would if it were by itself!

But how does this affect pollination (which is my biggest problem with corn)?

Shouldn't do a thing to pollination and may even improve it. Just to give you an idea of how far corn pollen goes on the wind, when breeding open-pollinated varieties, they plant them at least 2 miles away to ensure they don't cross-pollinate.

The bigger issue with corn pollination in small gardens is typically the overall number of plants. Best strategies are to plant in squares, or if in rectangles have the long side run the direction of the prevailing wind so that pollen can be blown across the whole planting. When silks have emerged, you can also walk through a small planting and shake the plants to get them to drop some pollen on sunny mornings.

judith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slim wrote:
[if in rectangles have the long side run the direction of the prevailing wind so that pollen can be blown across the whole planting.

That's pretty much how mine are planted - usually a rectangle 3 or 4 wide by 8-10 deep. They are in raised beds so I can't get any more in across the width. But the pollination is always very patchy. Shaking the plants is probably going to be the answer.

If it's not a daft question, is it possible for it to be too windy?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 11 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a hill in Wales? Surely not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive