Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Talking of garlic, I'd like to grow some wet garlic

Author 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 2:06 pm    Post subject: Talking of garlic, I'd like to grow some wet garlic Reply with quote

Last year I bought a very large bulb, with leaves attached, of 'wet garlic' from a fruit and veg stall. It hadn't divided into cloves and I was advised to use it, inc. the leaves, as alternative to spring onion / onion and / or garlic.

It was really nice (I made a stir fry) and I'd like to grow some. Do I need a special variety? (The one I bought was bigger than the garlic I'm used to growing).

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's just down to when you harvest.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:
I think it's just down to when you harvest.

Oh, OK. None of mine are big enough to tempt me to pull and see. But then I planted them quite late.

I do wonder of the one I bought was elephant garlic. It really was leek sized.

NorthernMonkeyGirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to suggest that

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might plant a few elephant ones early for next year and give it a try. It will have to be a few as they are so expensive.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed wet garlic was just the new season heads before drying.
I always look forward to the first few heads straight from the ground.
After about May month my old stored garlic is shrivelling & shooting so nice fat crunchy cloves are a treat.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green garlic is generally just immature standard garlic that hasn't yet split into cloves. It does sound like your's was elephant garlic though.
We pulled some garlic 'green' last year and it was great - but only a few as I wanted us to have a year's supply from the mature crop.
Like you say, elephant is expensive to buy here too.

SteveP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithril wrote:
Might plant a few elephant ones early for next year and give it a try. It will have to be a few as they are so expensive.

It may be slightly late but if you stick just one clove in now and forget about it. It may not produce much in the way of useable bulbs this year but come spring you could get a load of small plants that you can separate. It is worth gambling one clove.

My garlic plants are all from a bulb that was overlooked last year. And that was grown from a similar missed bulb the previous year. They survive whatever the winter throws at them.

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very expensive. I guess it might be possible to replant elephant cloves and reduce costs, in the long run.

For now I shall give one of my bog standard garlics a go after all (hopefully it won't be too late). I'm really looking forward to wet garlic now. Stir fry tomorrow

Piggyphile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that you can grow garlic as a perennial and then you just pull a few when you need them. Evidently the bulbs are a bit smaller than if grown as an annual and it forms a clump that needs to be divided every few years. I am going to have a go as I am moving towards growing more perennials. Saves storage issues.

OtleyLad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mithril wrote:
Very expensive. I guess it might be possible to replant elephant cloves and reduce costs, in the long run.

For now I shall give one of my bog standard garlics a go after all (hopefully it won't be too late). I'm really looking forward to wet garlic now. Stir fry tomorrow

Wash it, cut off all but 2ins of stem, trim off roots, sprinkle oil and then crunchy salt & pepper. Bake in oven for 30-40 mins gas 5. Absolutely delicious....

Mithril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 13 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OtleyLad:1347107"]
Mithril wrote:

Wash it, cut off all but 2ins of stem, trim off roots, sprinkle oil and then crunchy salt & pepper. Bake in oven for 30-40 mins gas 5. Absolutely delicious....

Gosh, that does sound good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Grow Your Own All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive