Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Libyan crisis, rising oil price, and over-due realism
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i cant work out is that many people have seen this comming for a long time, the last people to "get it " are those in government. Just goes to show they are not up to the job. And i am not pointing the finger at Tory or Labour, but government.

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy B wrote:
What i cant work out is that many people have seen this comming for a long time, the last people to "get it " are those in government. Just goes to show they are not up to the job. And i am not pointing the finger at Tory or Labour, but government.

Do you honestly believe that if any party said they where going to start rationing or the price was going to increase beyond most peoples means they would have got votes?
You get the government you deserve.

Andy B

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Andy B wrote:

Do you honestly believe that if any party said they where going to start rationing or the price was going to increase beyond most peoples means they would have got votes?
You get the government you deserve.

We do. And the first people we blame are those in government. And because we think short term and selfish we get a government that does the same. People need to change and our form of government needs to change as well.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Sign at the bottom of my road,with Tel.No.

6mth block ads in the free advertising mag we get,from Pembrokeshire to Machynlleth,

Ads in shops in Lampeter and feed stores.

River Cottage

I sent a postcard to Gadaffi inquiring if he was interested in some Dry Cure,he has`nt replied.

Could we see your ad? Maybe some of the clever folk on here could help make it more effective? Do you post stuff out? If so do you want a banner ad on here?

Dumnonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty Gwyn wrote:
Dumnonian wrote:
Ty Gwyn wrote:
Things maybe different in other area`s,but here,i honestly don`t understand the situation,except they have something against putting money into another locals pocket,in favour of supporting Supermarkets,that goes for other Farmers as well,who are thier own worse enemies.

As with almost everything like this it boils down to economics (no, i'm not a marxist, honest).

Because of the way the whole economic system is skewed in favour of Big corporations people like me can't afford to buy local.

And please don't try telling me that you can buy cheaper locally than in the local T**co, because you can't - i know 'cos i'm tight as a gnats tadger, or something tighter!

Until we can find some way of altering the system, we ain't gonna get nowhere.

(checks English ...yup, no meerkats)

How much a kilo is UK Dry Cured Bacon in Tesco?

I haven't a clue. The stuff i buy is 75p for 500g = £1.50 a kilo.

It may not be as quality as your stuff, but it's tasty enough and it feeds people, and it's all folk on low incomes can afford.

That's why the economic system needs changing.

Yeah, I'd love to raise and make my own too, but i can't afford the land i'd need to be self-sufficient, and anyway that's damn near impossible if you don't drive, as local communities have been destroyed bythe car and hypermobility that cab was talking about.

Change is desperately needed.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still make your own - We do. The butchers in Torrington are reasonable and will prepare hams for curing. I imagine the one in the high street in Bideford would too.

Dumnonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
You can still make your own - We do. The butchers in Torrington are reasonable and will prepare hams for curing. I imagine the one in the high street in Bideford would too.

What, at £1.50 a kilo?

Factor in time taken to do the job, and water and other costs to clean up, as well.

Besides which that doesn't solve the issues of injustice and inequality that exist here and abroad.

Downsizing surely can't be all just "I'm all right Jack" eating my home-cured bacon while others live in desperation, can it?

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's buying cruddy bacon helping to sort it out though?

jema
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curing bacon is actually a bad example, as it is easy to do at home, and cheap to do as well.
But I like to think we do look at wider issues and are not an "I'm alright Jack site".

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid £1.50 a kilo meat cannot have reared in a way that would make me prepared to eat it. When I was truly broke I was veggie.

cab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumnonian wrote:

Yeah, I'd love to raise and make my own too, but i can't afford the land i'd need to be self-sufficient, and anyway that's damn near impossible if you don't drive, as local communities have been destroyed bythe car and hypermobility that cab was talking about.

I don't drive. We get bulk purchases of meat via the occasional lift, and I make our own bacon out of belly pork from the butcher if I run out inbetween pig purchases. I've occasionally bought meat here from people rather further away than is idea, but now nearly all of it comes from very close to home. Inbetween those purchases its stuff bought locally or grown on our allotment. And our shopping comes home in our rucksacks, by bike, or by bike trailer.

The cost? Financially, I think we spend less than most. In terms of time, it doesn't half eat in to the time I'd like to spend watching the telly

What makes it hard, what makes it so damned time consuming, is exactly what you describe. Its much harder living a lifestyle that relies on local and ethical produce than it should be.

Dumnonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamanda wrote:
I'm afraid £1.50 a kilo meat cannot have reared in a way that would make me prepared to eat it. When I was truly broke I was veggie.

Can't see all the poor people in Britain turning veggie, somehow!

And why should they? Just because they're on the wrong end of an iniquitous and destructive system.

cab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumnonian wrote:

And why should they? Just because they're on the wrong end of an iniquitous and destructive system.

When I was skint, I ate meat as ethically as I could, but I bought only the cheapest bits. Short of going hungry, I don't believe that the ethics of what I should or should not eat are price dependent.

Dumnonian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cab wrote:
Dumnonian wrote:

I don't drive. We get bulk purchases of meat via the occasional lift, and I make our own bacon out of belly pork from the butcher if I run out inbetween pig purchases. I've occasionally bought meat here from people rather further away than is idea, but now nearly all of it comes from very close to home. Inbetween those purchases its stuff bought locally or grown on our allotment. And our shopping comes home in our rucksacks, by bike, or by bike trailer.

The cost? Financially, I think we spend less than most. In terms of time, it doesn't half eat in to the time I'd like to spend watching the telly

What makes it hard, what makes it so damned time consuming, is exactly what you describe. Its much harder living a lifestyle that relies on local and ethical produce than it should be.

I know what you mean.

Not having things like cars, fridges, washing machines and such-like takes up a lot of extra time - though it's very affordable, and eco-friendly.

Not having a telly gets the time back, as well as not filling your mind with a load of propaganda

Tavascarow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 11 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumnonian wrote:
Jamanda wrote:

Because the cost of food is going to rise in relation to the cost of fuel, it already is.
If we can't afford to buy meat where are you going to get it from?
I eat red meat once a week. home raised poultry about the same Fish a couple of times a week, all locally sourced, & all very cheap in comparison to the supermarkets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive