Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
Croquembouche
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing
Author 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 8:41 pm    Post subject: Croquembouche Reply with quote

Has anyone ever made one of these? A friend wants to make one for her daughters wedding and has roped me in to help. How on earth can we make it stable enough to travel 30 miles by car especially if the weather is bad as apparently the humidity affects the sticking power of the caramel?
Also we've been told that the profiteroles have to have a patisserie creme filling rather than cream. Please does anyone know why?

Help please

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never even heard of one but it sounds very, very interesting!

(IMHO profiteroles should have crème patisserie in - because it makes them taste better.)

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made this a few times. It's fun. I have used cream and it was very nice. You can make it quite stable but I am not sure about the toffee caramel either. Any heat wouldn't be good. Can you not make it up when you get there? The caramel threads are really very easy even though they look spectacular.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say I was coming to see you in the Summer didn't I?

Cathryn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear the pressures on.

It's very simple though, profiteroles, and they are easy peasy, with your choice of filling and that caramely thing which is the closest I would ever go to making toffee (apart from cinder toffee of course).

astra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 11 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think we'll just have to do a trial run and see how it goes! A bought one from Fancy That in Oxford cost from £395 upwards

murdrobe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 11 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn they are so easy to make too... wonder how they justify that price tag... to help stability, you can build something cone shaped in the middle of it maybe.

astra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 11 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that part of the price is based on the fact that it apparently has to be made on *the day* itself and part based on £1 per mile delivery by "specially trained" courier!!
It's still a helluva lot of money

Nick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 11 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon you could make it in the mould, and transport it in a cool box on the day. Flip it, unwrap it, drizzle, and say, 'You are spoiling us Mr Ambassador.'

Job done.

RichardW

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 11 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done a few of these many years ago for large events & for national competitions. Trying to move them any distance is a recipe for tears.

Make it on site.

Blue Peter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 11 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raymond Blanc series on the Beeb at the moment shows him making one - the episode on desserts which can be got on iPlayer (I think, still),

Peter.

joanne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 11 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moulds aren't exactly cheap to buy though https://www.divertimenti.co.uk/Tastes/French/croquembouche-mould.html - Maybe you could hire one from a local cake decorating place?

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 11 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny this should come up as I am making one for a friends 40th over easter. what sort of size are you doing? fortunately I don't have to transport mine as they are coming to us. The largest i have done before was only 50 profiteroles this is going to need to be nearer 200. Lik you I was going to "glue" it together with caramel then decorate with spun sugar and also liek you I am worried about keeping the thing up right and how far in advance it can be done. Reading these replies with interest.

astra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 11 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mould is hideously expensive isn't it?
Friends daughter wants a 200 one What we've decided to do is have a trial run with a 100 one. Take it for a ride of the appropriate length and see what happens!If it stays in one piece we might just suggest that she could have 2 x 100 ones and save a lot of hassle!!

They're supposed to be made *on the day* but that's not really practical so we're going to experiment with freezing as well

If you should see two women sitting in a field stuffing themselves with profiteroles it'll be us!

astra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 11 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Peter wrote:
The Raymond Blanc series on the Beeb at the moment shows him making one - the episode on desserts which can be got on iPlayer (I think, still),

Peter.

Thanks for that BP. Interesting to watch, he made assembly look so easy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Recipes, Preserving, Homebrewing All times are GMT
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive