Articles
       links
About Us    
Traders        
Recipes            
Latest Articles
alternatives to fossil fuels
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects
Author 
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldish chris wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
mal55 wrote:
Sorry Chris. It's a beef of mine. There's an awful lot of info on them on the internet, including health issues which are played down by developers.

And an awful lot that is made up by the fossil fuel industy and the NIMBY's...
But I have it on first hand, they really do cause mesmerisation. And it was Her Majesty's Coast Guards that were being affected.

Fortunately, half filling a Welsh valley with spoil has never ruined a view from the Wolds. (I remember 1966.)

Build a Fast Breeder Reactor in Mablethorpe!

That's the problem with calling someone a NIMBY, it ignores the fact everyone is a NIMBY. Who wants a refuse dump, open cast mine, nuclear reactor, nuclear dump, fracking etc next door?

The problem with wind turbines is you still will need your coal mines, fracking, nuclear power stations or whatever and when you balance things up I'm yet to be convinced they are worth all the negatives. I'll concede they do act as a comfort blanket for some people to grasp whilst they carry on regardless.

sean
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic not. Methane hydrate is coming. What can possibly go wrong?

Nick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sean wrote:

I saw that, and thought of this thread. But, I knew it would end well.

oldish chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 14 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
sean wrote:

I saw that, and thought of this thread. But, I knew it would end well.
best burn it asap, according to the "Warmists" AGW will release the methane in a few decades.

(Said the Troll )

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treacodactyl wrote:
Hairyloon wrote:
mal55 wrote:
There's an awful lot of info on them on the internet, including health issues which are played down by developers.

And an awful lot that is made up by the fossil fuel industry and the NIMBY's...

That's the problem with calling someone a NIMBY, it ignores the fact everyone is a NIMBY. Who wants a refuse dump, open cast mine, nuclear reactor, nuclear dump, fracking etc next door?

As it happens, I moved next to a tip deliberately and withintent.
In the context of wind turbines, it seems that "MBY" actually means anywhere within sight: as demonstrated by the farm off the North Wales coast.

Quote:
The problem with wind turbines is you still will need your coal mines, fracking, nuclear power stations or whatever

It is always windy somewhere.

Treacodactyl
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving next to somewhere is different as you have a choice. As for windy somewhere, actually I don't think that's true for say England and Wales. Even if it is, it somewhat misses the obvious which is in needs to be sufficiently windy, but not too windy, everywhere for the turbines to generate the power they claim. Something that hardly ever happens.

I agree that many people complain just on looks and I'm far more concerned by their impact on noise and light.

However, even on looks people have a point in a country where you have to paint houses the right shade of pink or keep a roof thatched rather than change it to tiles. Issues that are somewhat overshadowed by a group of 150m turbines.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from personal experience nimbys are rather carp at actually getting important things changed

skilled niybys are rather more effective .

the anti turbine folk are two groups ,those who object to them in their sight and those,me included,who think them a red herring in terms of a sensible energy supply.the supporters of wind are those who profit and those who think them a panacea for energy supply.

"if one gets a 15% tithe of owning the seabed for instance and the installer/operator in which i am a major shareholder gets tax breaks one may support them" who might say a thing like that ?

while im on that tack 15% of the mineral licence rights for fracking ucg and a decent chunk of shares in the seven sisters might influence ones position.

Ty Gwyn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dpack wrote:

"if one gets a 15% tithe of owning the seabed for instance and the installer/operator in which i am a major shareholder gets tax breaks one may support them" who might say a thing like that ?

The Buck House brigade.

while im on that tack 15% of the mineral licence rights for fracking ucg and a decent chunk of shares in the seven sisters might influence ones position.

dpack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 14 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the firm have fingers in a lot of pies

Mistress Rose

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round here they seem to be keener to put in solar farms than wind turbines. I have no objection to them, but we are losing so much farmland to housing already I get rather worried about where our food will come from.

dpack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mistress Rose wrote:
Round here they seem to be keener to put in solar farms than wind turbines. I have no objection to them, but we are losing so much farmland to housing already I get rather worried about where our food will come from.

kenya ,brazil, peru etc until the chinese can out buy us on price and the us,ukraine etc until they wreck the soil or become russian

Eigon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near Hereford there's a project going on to build a solar panel farm on land which was used for landfill. The ground is polluted, so it can't be used for grazing, growing crops or building houses, so this seems an ideal use to me. There are also groups locally which are looking at putting solar panels on the roofs of public buildings to provide energy for those buildings and the local community.

jamanda
Downsizer Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eigon wrote:
Near Hereford there's a project going on to build a solar panel farm on land which was used for landfill. The ground is polluted, so it can't be used for grazing, growing crops or building houses, so this seems an ideal use to me. There are also groups locally which are looking at putting solar panels on the roofs of public buildings to provide energy for those buildings and the local community.

These are great ideas. Carpark shelters with solar panels seem to be a no brainer too.

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eigon wrote:

Where's this, please?

Hairyloon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 14 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Eigon wrote:
There are also groups locally which are looking at putting solar panels on the roofs of public buildings to provide energy for those buildings and the local community.

Where's this, please?

Why is it not everywhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Downsizer Forum Index -> Energy Efficiency and Construction/Major Projects All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8
View Latest Posts View Latest Posts

Archive